Remember the time you lent me your car and I dented it?

记得那天,我借用你的车,我撞凹了它

I thought you’d kill me, but you didn’t.  

我以为你一定会杀了我的,但是你没有

And the time I dragged you to campaign, and you said it would rain, and it did?

记得那天,我拖你去参加活动,而它真如你所说的下了雨  

I thought you’d say, “I told you so.” But you didn’t.  

我以为你会说“我告诉过你” ,但是你没有  

Do you remember the time I flirted with all the guys to make you jealous,

记得那天,我和所有的男人调情好让你嫉妒,

And you were?

而你真的嫉妒了  

I thought you’d leave, but you didn’t.  

我以为你一定会离开我,但是你没有  

And do you remember the time I spilled food over our brandnew rug?  

记得那天,我在我们的新地毯上吐了满地的食物  

I thought you’d lose it, but you didn’t.  

我以为你一定会丢掉它,但是你没有  

Yes, there were lots of things you didn’t do.  

是的,有许多的事你都没有做,  

But you put up with me, and loved me, and protected me.  

而你容忍我钟爱我保护我

There were lots of things I wanted to make up to you when you came home.

有许多许多的事情我要回报你,等你回家后  

But you didn’t.  

但是你没有

I wondered if she had the best of you, your eyes, your smile,

我想知道她身上是否有最好的你,你的眼睛,你的微笑

And she did.

是的,她有。

I wondered if she had the worst of you, too.

我想知道她身上是否也有你的缺点,

Your stubbornness, your will,

你的固执,你的意愿

And she did.

是的,她也有。

I wonder about the ways I still see you, on her

我猜想着从她身上看到你的各种方式

It’s that means you never really left me

这意味着你从未离开过我

And you didn’t.

你没有

作者据称是一位叫做Merrill Glass的诗人,是一位普通的MG妇女,她的丈夫当年应征入伍去了YN战场,后来不幸阵亡。她终身守寡,直至年老病逝。她的女儿在整理遗物时发现了母亲当年写给父亲的这首诗。